Services & Amenities:
– Sunset Dinner Train
– Cinder Bear Experience
– Geology Train
– Wildflower Special Botany Train
– Concessions and drinks on the train
– Choice of Parlour Car, Tourist Car, Coach Car, or Gondola Car
– Accommodates groups and charters
– Osier Station, all you can eat gourmet lunch buffet with various options
USA Today listed the Cumbres & Toltec Railroad with the 10 Best ‘Reader’s Choice’ Award, and it was called the “Best Train Ride in America.” This steam-operated railroad is a significant part of the Western United States, and is recognized as a National Historic Landmark. It was built in 1880, running between Antonito and Chama, part of the San Juan Extension of the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad. Its path traverses steep mountains and gorges, an engineering feat of its time. The end of the silver mining boom in the 1890s ended the role of the railroad.
Today, it takes passengers from Colorado to New Mexico, through the beautiful San Juan Mountains and Conejos Valley, past wildlife and interesting geography.
Travel Region: Mystic San Luis Valley